Re: usb coldplug problem

> No.
>
> After the firmware is loaded into the device properly, you will then
> call comedi_config from the driver itself to initialize everything.

No. This needs to be done from userspace or in other words from a udev script. ;) This has loads of practical reasons to have the final association between the driver and the comedi device in userspace. For example, in cases of multiple devices communicating with different drivers. That's something for a udev rule. Sorry. But what you are suggesting just now seems to me like a workaround for the coldplug problem: the firmware is loaded via a firmware event (created by the driver) and I should move comedi_config into my driver because there are no udev events during coldplug.

> Yes it will as the startup scripts already know how to handle coldplug
> firmware events.
To give the "magic" a name: you mean udev adm trigger? Or a nice script which writes "add" to all "uvents"? This is exactly what doesn't work. There are absolutely no udev events generated for comedi during boot. I've checked that now thoroughly and I think there's something wrong. What could that be?

/Bernd

Greg KH wrote:
On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 06:27:30PM +0000, Bernd Porr wrote:
Ok. I'll look into that. So, you mean that I create with the "request firmware" a new udev event which then could also call "comedi_config"?

No.

After the firmware is loaded into the device properly, you will then
call comedi_config from the driver itself to initialize everything.

The problem just now is that I don't get any udev events during
coldplug. Do you think this will also solve that issue?

One practical thing: it's probably a good idea to work on the driver version which goes into the kernel and not the one in the comedi CVS. Where can I check out my module just now?

Grab the linux-next tree, your driver and cleanups, are in there.

thanks,

greg k-h

--
www:    http://www.berndporr.me.uk/