Re: How to get a "traditional" file-chooser

On Sat, Sep 16, 2017 at 10:06 AM, Stefan Salewski <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2017-09-15 at 22:41 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
>> Additionally, modify_bg() has never done anything about
>> sizing,
>
> Sometimes you seems to try very hard to misunderstand people?
>
> My English is not good, but I really think Chris Moller was refering
> only to the fact that modify_bg() was deprecated in GTK3 and does not
> work properly often when people try to use it. Changing colors is what

This is a common theme in gtk.git unfortunately and I don't understand
why. Some features are deprecated and released in a broken state
instead of removing them. Take the Raleigh CSS theme in gtk.git for
example. In some 3.x release it stopped working altogether and is now
a ghost of the early 3.x version. It's basically broken because
deprecated although still installed. It's the equivalent of a VLC
plugin that crashes but is still bundled by default.

I've since learned how to modify Adwaita and derive a personal theme,
but if Raleigh had continued to look like the one in Gtk2, I wouldn't
have needed to learn SASS and Gtk3 styling basics, which isn't a
useful skill for me because I don't write Gtk3 applications and only
learned it to fix personal annoyances/gripes of default Gtk3 styles.

Another issue with silent/hidden deprecation is that there are drawing
bugs with Gtk3 that never surface when you use Gtk3 in GNOME3 with the
GNOME3 compositor but fail to properly/smoothly draw under everything
else, including XFCE, Sway and compton. This is a result of
architectural changes to have a better drawing system, but if the
toolkit still supports use outside GNOME3 but doesn't work as smoothly
and this isn't advertised, then it's unfortunately another case of
silent deprecation. I don't mind if Gtk3 is supposed to work properly
only with GNOME3, but that must be documented so that application
writers and users are aware of it. Meanwhile, the less advanced
toolkits just keep on working, albeit with less features. Though, if
you can live with Qt, then you get similar features and arguably more
rendering backends, without compositor bugs mentioned.

I have hope the GNOME devs will fix the bugs, but from conversations
in bugzilla it is evident that there aren't any developers who don't
use Windows or GNOME3 as the development environment.

PS: There are bugzilla tickets for the regressions I describe.