Re: How to get a "traditional" file-chooser

On Fri, 2017-09-15 at 22:41 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> Additionally, modify_bg() has never done anything about
> sizing,

Sometimes you seems to try very hard to misunderstand people?

My English is not good, but I really think Chris Moller was refering
only to the fact that modify_bg() was deprecated in GTK3 and does not
work properly often when people try to use it. Changing colors is what
beginners like to do. And they generally expect that only one simple
function call is necessary to do it. With Google you can find many
questions of people asking why modify_bg() or modify_fg() does not work
as expected. Finding an example for a properly working solution for
GTK3 is possible, but not as easy as it should be.

To avoid getting such complains for the Nim bindings, I decide to give
an example in the mini tutorial for the label widget:

https://github.com/StefanSalewski/gintro

I hope that is correct, it is based on a C version someone posted at
stackoverflow.

I know that modifying colors is not that easy in GTK3, as backgrounds
can be gradients for example. And using arbitrary colors generally look
not good for all themes. For me that is OK. But is there really no way
to allow a one function() call option for kids and beginners? Well,
should we really care about kids and beginners at all? As they will not
be able to contribute something valuable -- only stupid questions. But
the fact is, that most users start as kids or beginners with GUI
toolkits or programming languages -- and some of them years later may
do valuable contributions.