Re: How to get a "traditional" file-chooser

On 15 September 2017 at 20:33, Chris Moller <moller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There are some major apps like gimp that use gtk2 and I doubt they'll ever
> switch to gtk3

Gimp is in the process of switching to GTK+ 3, now that the work on
changing the internals has reached a nearly complete state.

> gtk3 widgets tend to be a lot bigger than gtk2 widgets,
> making control-intensive dialogues bigger, taking away space from whatever
> you're trying to do.

You still have to option to use more compact themes.

> I've written a bunch of apps over the last few years using gtk3, but I'm
> switching back to gtk2.  The widget-size issue is one reason, but in
> addition I find CSS to be a ridiculously clumsy mechanism for setting widget
> characteristics--gtk_widget_modify_bg () was a lot more straight-forward
> than lots of arm-waving with "style providers" and all the rest of it.

If you think a fully specified language that can modify the appearance
of your UI is "clumsy" compared to a function that changed a color
then I don't know what to say — except that your UI must be so simple
that simply changing colors is enough for you.

Additionally, modify_bg() has never done anything about sizing, and
changing sizes of GTK widgets programmatically has always been a good
way to create terrible UIs that neither scale up nor down.

But, hey: if you feel more comfortable using GTK+ 2 you can still do
that. It's never going to get any new feature, and it's never going to
change in appearance or functionality. If you're targeting platforms
that don't change, GTK+ 2 is precisely what you should use.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

https://www.bassi.io
[@] ebassi [@gmail.com]