Re: [Openh323gk-users] gnugk load balancing

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 07:27:05PM -0500, Marc Williams wrote:
}  I understand and apparently you do too as your examples show.  For all I
}  know, everyone involved understands.  But there was an *implication*
}  made by one or more people in this thread that the GPL somehow forbade
}  people from *selling* software which simply is not accurate.

I said that.  And I'll stand by it.  I don't pretend to be a lawyer,
I've never even played one on TV, but I think I can comprehend english.
My read of the GPL, and my basic understanding of law, says that you
cannot sell "the software" as it is copyrighted and guaranteed to be free.

You may charge for the service of packaging it, shipping it, configuring
it, painting brilliant colours, etc.

This may be a subtle distinction to you but not to me.  And my telling
someone naive in these matters that you cannot sell them the software
is more accurate than your saying you can.  I mean this in the sense
that their grasp of the issues involved will be closer to truth.

	-Vance

[BTW:  If anyone wants me to paint their free software I'm available]