Re: [Openh323gk-users] gnugk load balancing

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 06:30:58PM -0500, Marc Williams wrote:
> I disagree.  I don't think there is any "right" time or place to correct
> GPL misinterpretations.  And furthermore, the GPL allows the sale of
> "product", not just know-how.  You simply have to include source code
> and a copy of the GPL with your product.

i think the issue here is that someone is (potentially) selling a
new/improved gnugk, without making the source of the improvements available
publicly.

as i understand it:

- i take gnugk
- i add full transparent SIP gateway facilities, which requires deep
    modifications to the core gnugk code
- i market the product and sell it for EU1,000,000
- included in the sale is a CD with a binary version of the new/improved gnugk
   and a recent CVS version of the source, which does not include my mods
- in order to preserve my exclusive control to the H.323/SIP/gnugk market,
   i keep my mods secret

i think this is breaking the GPL

and i think this is what the discussion started around.

alternately:

- i create a full transparent SIP gateway module, which interfaces
    with gnugk through tcp port 7000
- this module is compatible with "blessed" versions of gnugk, of which you
    can download the frozen tarballs from my site
- i market the product and sell it for $49.95 CDN
- included in the sale is a CD which includes a binary version of my module,
    several binary versions of gnugk, accompanied by the source tarballs
    used to create them
- in order to preserve my exclusive control to the H.323/SIP/gnugk market,
   i keep my module sourcecode secret

i think this is staying within the GPL

--
[ Jim Mercer        jim@reptiles.org         +1 416 410-5633 ]
[          I want to live forever, or die trying.            ]