Re: [Openh323gk-users] about Radius

On Monday 09 June 2003 20:51, Jeremy McNamara wrote:

> >YOU NEED AN INTERFACE to "speak" with the database.
> >What does a database mean? DBM, MS-SQL, Oracle, flat text files, DBase,
> >FOXpro?  Where is the intermediator???
>
> There is ZERO need.   The gateway manufactures were lazy and decided to
> implement a broken technology that should have never been deployed.
> All that RADIUS does is add another layer of failure and complicate the
> network.

I can not agree with you. Lazy manufacturers implement only the H323 stack
leaving the customer to bang his head on how to do a prepaid billing with it.
Lazy manufacturers - all small equipment manufacturers like Welltech, DLink,
MicroNet and etc.
On the other size - the big guys... Cisco, Quintum, Voicemaster.
Radius + IVR is a standart which everyone should follow. It is a kind of a
different story if we do like it, or do not.

> RADIUS is a hack.  It is absolutely NOT a standard or universal. (Are
> you mad?)  Every single manufacture out there has their own very

Look at billing&provisioning systems for VoIP. 95% of them are based on
Radius. Ask yourself why. Then answer yourself to the above question.

> specific VSAs that you have to rely on being absolutely perfect if you
> are going to perfectly bill your customers. (Especially for a usage

80% of the VoIP carriers/ITSPs use Cisco. And definitely they use Radius.
Your claim that they do bill their customers perfectly (if true) will crash
the market completely :)

> based service)   We spent countless money trying to beat up Cisco and
> Qunitum to fix their VSAs but (of course) they won't admit there is even
> a problem, so we dropped them and did everything the right way.

let me know your problems out of the list. I will do my best to help you.

> Our 'device' (i'm not gonna call it a gateway, because it is not just a
> gateway) can either have a database inside of it and replicate data to a
> master database or it can talk directly to a centralized database.  Not
> to mention it can do all of the IVRs, call routing and custom
> applications that a 5300 can't even dream of doing.

5300 is manufactured to work, not to dream, but anyhow. It does work.