Re: [Openh323gk-users] about Radius

On Monday 09 June 2003 19:21, Zygmuntowicz Michal wrote:
> > Speaking just for myself, of course, I have been interested in this
> > thread.  I hope you don't cut it off or take it private simply because
> > you think others aren't interested.
>
> I think that this thread was pointless. Every experienced system
> designer knows what are standards for and why they are so useful.
> I do not tell that Radius is good or bad. I could said that MySQL
> is useless and nobody needs it because my VoIP installation does
> not use it.

Mysql is a storage, not an authentication service.
You can attach it like a backend to your Radius server.

GW / GK <--Radius--> backend.

That backend could be a SQL database (mysql, oracle, ms-sql), DBM, LDAP, flat
text file... just anything.
Standarts are made to be open and give the developer a freedom.

I will highly prefer to buy let say Cisco or Quintum, because I will choose
(or write my own) a Radius based billing software out of many ones.
I will be able to modify it the way I want.

What if a gateway comes with a "closed" billing software, written by the
gateway vendor. This is stupid.
A lot of people here have experience with the traditional PBXes and their
vendor issued management/billing software.

Standarts like Radius and SNMP make the world moving forward. They create
order, scalability, compatibility and etc.

My last e-mail on the thread.