Re: Future blog

On 12/08/2010 11:23 AM, Pekka Enberg wrote:
> Hi Andrew,

Hi.

> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Andrew Haley <aph@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> But it's not a red herring! I don't expect to have commit rights to
>>> GNU Classpath. I'm more than happy to send patches to the list and
>>> have someone else merge them (that's in fact a model I personally
>>> prefer).
>>
>> This model does not scale.  Also, it is unreliable: no-one should
>> commit a patch they haven't tested themselves.  It leads to extra
>> work.  It's also bad because it leads to two classes of developers,
>> those with and those without commit access.
>
> Well, you know, it works just fine for the Linux kernel so as a
> general statement, that's just not true.

It's been identified as a bottleneck for the Linux kernel.  However,
that's the way they like it.

>> Every developer should commit their own patches.
>
> I didn't mean to start an argument on what kind of development model
> GNU Classpath should be using. But I don't quite agree with the above
> statement because waiting for commit access creates a barrier for
> people who just want to submit simple one-liners.

I'm happy to commit simple one-liners.  However, as soon as people do
more than that they need copyright assignment, and once they've done
that they have commit access.

> In any case, even if everyone did have commit access, CVS is still
> painful for *local* development.

Not for me.  I mean, it's not great, but it's hardly a big factor in
the time it takes to develop code.

Andrew.