Re: Vincent Untz and the "users that like to hate people"

So the discussion went wrong. One parties do not really want to understand the other parties.
To understand someone, one needs to empty his cup, listen to other and then he can get a snap of perspective that others want or is saying.

GNOME is nice, lots of developer contributed it, and this is one of the example of successful community driven opensource project.
But it is not perfect yet and never will be. So you keep making it better and better, towards perfection. This is how you should vision your product or tool. If not, then its totally guided by closed groups of people who want to force some patterns and features which which others didn't like.
Leaders and other enthusiasts should listen to what and why other people asking for some features, enhancements and tools? Simply pointing out the solution as to use terminal or other script is not really solution, but you are driving the discussion in different way showing your expertise.
You like commandline, I like commandline, but for obvious task, I do not use commandlines always. If I am in nautilus, and if I have to rename a directory, I will not go open  a terminal and rename it there. Rather I will Right Click->Rename or use F2.

Why you think Microsoft and Apple are making it better and better and a simple user does not really has to use the terminal in these OS for any of their work. So suggesting to use terminal is not really the solution as it was asked in this discussion, its just you pretend to show your geekiness.
If you think that was missed, just accept is. But you are acting like stubborn.
I really do not want to hurt feelings here, but i want to show you want I am perceiving it at my end. Thank you.

Regards,
- Ravi Kumar

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 10:58 PM, Ma Xiaojun <damage3025@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 1:02 AM, Adam Tauno Williams
<awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It is not at all limited to "Free Software" platforms.  It is the
> defacto debugging and administration tool of every platform.  Yes,
> Microsoft platforms have some very nice GUI administration tools.... but
> one runs head-first into them quite regularly.  I have ~300 Windows
> workstations under my administration - WE USE THE COMMAND LINE ALL THE
> TIME!  THE COMMAND LINE IS OFTEN ****EASIER****!   IT IS EASIER TO
> INSTRUCT PEOPLE ABOUT USING THE COMMAND LINE!  YOU CAN CUT-N-PASTE TEXT
> FROM THE A terminal/cmd WINDOW! - THEN PUT IT IN A TICKET OR E-MAIL.
> THE COMMAND LINE TOOLS REMAIN THE SAME ACROSS VARIOUS VERSIONS AND
> REVISIONS;  vs. their need to constantly redesign the control panel.
>
> The command line tools of Windows finally do not suck, they've invested
> a lot of effort into improving there command line.  Why?  Because people
> want it!

Calm down, dude.
What you and I prefer don't matter that much.
For the "lspci" VS Device Manager issue.
Actually Linux user needs such stuff more since Linux is less likely
to be properly pre-installed.

http://www.neowin.net/

> Okay, you are now way outside of "normal user".

Well, if one use portable application for Windows, he is outside "normal user"?