Re: Why the Van Gogh filter is still in gimp?

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 2:06 PM,  <gg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I can't recall having used this filter but since this seems to be such
> an important (!) issue I had a try on a randomly selected photo.
>
> default settings just seemed to give a slight blurring. Not especially
> interesting but nothing to start a war over.
>
> Then taking the time to experiment a bit, I selected convolve with white
> noise and upped a couple of parameters. The effect was somewhat like an
> impressionist rendition of my scene though with a bit too much
> regularity in some areas.
>
> So at this point I recall that Van Gogh was an _impressionist artist_
> and that perhaps some of what this filter can do is intended to look
> make the image look like an impressionist painting of the subject. Hence
> V.G. and the "artistic" submenu.
>
> I don't have the time to fully evaluate what it can do since it seems to
> have a lot of parameters.

Would having better documentation and/or a tutorial affect the
perception of usefulness?

And what is the time frame for needing to decide on leaving it in vs
deleting it?

I've been doing a little spelunking in the GIMP source code in an
attempt to learn how I might contribute (what I really want for myself
is full GEGL - nondestructive editing and 16-bit/channel, but that's a
pretty deep level of work). I'm willing to look into the VG plugin
code to assess the effort for documentation, but not if the core team
is saying, "NO WAY".

Pete