Re: Why the Van Gogh filter is still in gimp?

On 11/12/2010 09:21 AM, Michael Schumacher wrote:
> What are the requirements for "good enough to be included in GIMP 3.0"?
> If we don't have them yet, we really should start collecting them.

I see only one: general usefulness. IMHO the "Filters" menu is getting a
bit out of hand. There are plenty of things there that I never use (the
same applies to brushes/patterns/gradients). Having the extra ones there
isn't free, they get in the way of the people who don't use them (and
slow down startup). I would be in favor of a more "barebones"
installation, with task-oriented complements:

- art (filters/artistic, filters/decor, filters/render, many
brushes/patterns/gradients)
- image (most of the "filters/enhance" part, "filters/photo", de-noise,
de-shake, color balance)
- maybe a "beginner's pack" with some of the current stuff.

> The docs page about the plug-in suggests that the author didn't really know what's going on, but that's nothing to be ashamed of, in my opinion.

The hover balloon in the menu also says "Special effects that nobody
understands" :-)