Re: A new

On 09/19/2009 08:20 PM, Sven Neumann wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-09-19 at 15:38 +0200, Martin Nordholts wrote:
>
>> But SIOX is supposed to be more than a selection tool, isn't it? Isn't
>> it about extracting foreground objects? A selection is not enough for that
>> when the foreground consists of transparent pixels.
>
> SIOX is a tool to create a selection, nothing more. I don't see what a
> foreground extraction tool should do besides selecting the foreground.
> Perhaps you can explain this?

Consider a completely red background with a slightly blurred green filled
circle in the foreground [1]. If you want to extract the green foreground
object you need to get rid of the red in the pixels with both red and
green, but you can't do that with only a selection.

A good foreground selection tool would need to get rid of the red in the
pixels with both red and green and only leave slightly transparent green
pixels.

 / Martin

[1] http://www.chromecode.com/temp/red-circle-on-green-background.png

--