Re: What would be a better set of default resources?

Hi,

On Thu, 2009-07-23 at 22:07 +0200, Martin Nordholts wrote:

> So, we can only add resources and tags that have never shipped with a
> previous version of GIMP to the migrated user dir. Finding this set of
> resources and tags is just a matter of maintaining data sets with
> resources and tags shipped with each version of GIMP and some
> hacking/scripting.

That would be error-prone, unreliable, a nightmare to maintain and
extremely ugly from a software design point of view. How can you even
consider this?

> I admit this is not trivial, but it is my opinion superior to using tags
> the way you describe and treat system resources in a special way.

You yourself ask for treating system resources specially since you just
admitted that we need to maintain data sets only for the purpose of
migrating to future versions. It would be much cleaner if we just marked
a system resource as deleted instead of copying it in the first place
and then deleting it. Whether this is actually done using tags or in a
different way is another question. But since we have tags now, it seems
like the best solution to use this system. After all that is what it was
designed for.

Sven