Re: Please restore removed crop tool functionality

Hi,

Sorry about the slow response, I've been away for the Christmas holidays.

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008, Martin Nordholts wrote:
> That is a good argument against making the proposed change and a couple
> of points were made that I didn't think about. I will not go ahead with
> my proposed change at this point.

I agree that it should be possible to crop the image while cropping also
all the layers, since this would be hard to achieve otherwise.
Conceptually the "allow growing of image" and "change only canvas size"
are different; I hardly ever wish to grow the image with the crop tool,
while I nearly always want the crop to be non-destructive.  However I
understand if these want to be combined to limit the number of options.

I think that the functionality of the old (2.2 ?) version could combine
the best of both worlds:  Select the crop range and click on it to crop,
shift-click to perform a non-destructive crop.  In this case the "Cut/Grow
canvas only" would be off while selecting the crop area, while growing the
image is still available (either using the option checkbox or modifier)
when this is desired.  The use of the modifier key also integrates with
the workflow seamlessly.

Any ideas on this?