Re: Guides in templates

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 1:59 PM, Chris Mohler <cr33dog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 3:53 PM, Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Sun, 2008-12-28 at 19:25 +0000, Chris Mohler wrote:
>>
>>> With a recent SVN I created a new image, added guides, and saved it as
>>> a template.  However when I create a new image and select the
>>> template, the guides are no longer there.  Is this intended behavior?
>>> I can't think of any reason not to keep the guides, but thought I'd
>>> ask...
>>
>> No good reason except that no one has implemented this yet.
>
> OK - I took a look at the template code and after a (quick) review I
> have some more questions.
>
> It seems that the current implementation writes  parameters to the
> ~/.gimp-2.x/templaterc file, which are used to create a new image.  Is
> there a technical (or other?) reason to not use the XCF format for
> templates?
>
> One one hand, adding the guides to the current template system looks
> somewhat straightforward (like something I might be able to
> accomplish), but on the other hand I wonder if would be easier in the
> long run to handle templates as native XCF files.

IMO 'both' is the correct answer. For simple templates like what can
currently be expressed by templaterc,
XCF is overkill*. Otherwise, using XCF for the template is fine, we
can save template .XCFs in gimp's template/ directory (don't know
whether it creates this itself, but I found it in my .gimp-2.7
directory.) and
use the templaterc 'filename' field to point at them. Of course we
should synchronize the templaterc properties like image size and units
with the template XCFs as applicable.

* 12k for a 2400x2400 empty grayscale image, versus ~100 bytes for a
templaterc entry.

> David's message just came to me - thanks for clarifying:
>> No one has implemented [image-based templates] yet; 'Save as template'
>> does not fully work in this sense, it doesn't save image content; It
>> just saves all the properties that you can see in the 'New image'
>> dialog, like size, units, dpi, and fill color.
>
> So it sounds like 'image-based templates' is a good idea, but one that
> has not been implemented yet?
Yes, it's been planned for a long time , a field for it is already
included in GimpTemplate (app/core/gimptemplate.h). Basically what
needs to be done is
a) set that field when saving as template, and
b) use the field when creating a new image (there may be UI
considerations involved here).

> If that's the general consensus, I will investigate the image-based
> approach a bit more.  No promises though - I am still not extremely
> good at C...

I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

David