Please restore removed crop tool functionality

Hi,

In previous versions of Gimp, the crop tool had the option to resize the
canvas, but not to crop the layers.  This functionality has been removed
in recent versions (or at least I can't find it).  This totally disrupted
my regular workflow with all photos.

Though the highlighting feature in the crop tool gives a better view on
the result, it never was exactly to my liking the first time.  Therefore I
always only shrank the canvas, and then used the move tool and canvas
resizing to fine-tune the positioning, and finally flattened the image.

With newer versions I have to use the crop tool to get an idea of the
size, write down the dimensions, cancel the crop operation, manually
change the canvas size and re-position the image - and then start the
fine-tuning.  This is extremely frustrating.

AFAIK none of the modifier keys are currently used by the crop tool, so
could this feature be reinstated to the tool?  I recall that a shift-click
was used to shrink the canvas instead of performing regular cropping.

If this feature is available otherwise, please tell me.

Sincerely,