Re: Please restore removed crop tool functionality

Hi,

On Thu, 2008-12-25 at 13:49 +0100, Martin Nordholts wrote:

> But what about making layers not be cropped by default and only crop
> them if Current layer only is checked in the crop tool options? That's
> also a one-line patch and is compatible with our future plans to make
> layer sizes automanaged and GIMP generally more non-destructive.

This change would be quite problematic. An image with the layers cropped
to the image boundaries is in some ways different to an image where the
layers extend the image boundaries. It takes up more memory and
processing it uses more CPU cycles. Your proposed change makes it
difficult to trim an image in order to save memory and processing time
for the following image processing steps. Of course it's a nice
side-effect that you can tweak the crop rectangle later if you kept all
layers at their full size. But as long as GIMP applies all processing to
the full layers, even if only a small rectangle of them is shown, this
is problematic.

The proposed change will also cause problems with file plug-ins. Many
save plug-ins that only deal with single layer images don't look at the
layer offsets and image size. They will save the full drawable, which is
probably not what the user expects after having cropped the image.

Sven