Re: New option "Use custom quality settings" for JPEG files

   Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 10:25:54 +0200   From: =?UTF-8?B?UmFwaGHDq2w=?= Quinet <raphael@xxxxxxxx>
   On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 13:36:05 +0200, Raphaël Quinet <raphael@xxxxxxxx> wrote:   > On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 07:10:30 -0400, Robert L Krawitz <rlk@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:   > > Would "Use existing image quality settings" be a better name for this?   >    > I considered naming this option "Use original quality settings", but   > one thing that I forgot to mention in my previous messages is that   > it is possible to write a script or plug-in that attaches different   > quantization tables to any image.  [...]
   Although I was a bit reluctant to do this, we could try to change the   name of this option to "Use original quality settings" or "Use quality   settings from original image" or something like that.  This would   require several changes in behavior explained below.  This new meaning   may not be appropriate if other quantization tables than the original   ones are attached to the image, but if we consider that usage to be an   exception, then maybe we can "optimize for the common case" if this   could make the option more understandable.  Anyway, if we want to   change that string, then we have to reach a consensus on that in the   next few hours and make sure that it will not change again until GIMP   2.4 is out.  We should be in string freeze now.
   Implementing these changes would be easy (except for the last one,   maybe) and I know exactly what would have to be be changed so the code   itself is not an issue here.  But we should quickly decide what this   option should mean.  I like the current meaning ("custom tables") but   some of you think that it would be easier to understand something   referring to the original quality settings.  If we can reach a quick   agreement on what is better (considering the differences explained   above) and if it is not too late for 2.4rc1, then maybe I could change   that option.
The problem is that "custom tables" seems very confusing -- it soundslike the user's going to be asked to input something she knows nothingabout.  One could argue that "Use existing image quality settings"means the same thing as "Use quality settings currently attached tothe image", and then nothing about the behavior would have to change._______________________________________________Gimp-developer mailing listGimp-developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer