Re: New option "Use custom quality settings" for JPEG files

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 07:10:30 -0400, Robert L Krawitz <rlk@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:>    Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 10:08:27 +0200>    From: =?UTF-8?B?UmFwaGHDq2w=?= Quinet <raphael@xxxxxxxx>>    [...]>    If the quantization tables found in the original file are not better>    than your default quality settings, then the option "Use custom>    quality settings" will be available but not enabled.  This ensures>    that you always get at least the minimum quality specified in your>    defaults.  If you did not make major changes to the image and you want>    to save it using the same quality as the original, then you can do it>    by enabling this option.> > Would "Use existing image quality settings" be a better name for this?
"existing" could be interpreted as "the settings that are currentlydisplayed in this window", which would not make much sense and wouldjust confuse some users.
I considered naming this option "Use original quality settings", butone thing that I forgot to mention in my previous messages is thatit is possible to write a script or plug-in that attaches differentquantization tables to any image.  That would allow you to create animage from scratch or from an existing file and then save it as someother programs or devices would save it (e.g., save as "Photoshopquality 12" or save as "Nikon D70s Fine").  In fact, I am planningto release such a script soon.  I have already started extractingquantization tables from a large number of JPEG images.  Consideringthat the quantization tables attached to an image would not alwaysbe the original ones, I decided to write "custom" instead of"original" for the label of that option.  It is not perfect, but Ihave not been able to find a better description..