Re: New option "Use custom quality settings" for JPEG files

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 09:22:58 +0200, Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx> wrote:> On Sun, 2007-08-12 at 23:44 +0200, Raphaël Quinet wrote:> > Since Friday, I added a new option to the JPEG save dialog: "Use> > custom quality settings".  If some quantization tables were attached> > to the image when it was loaded, then this option allows you to use> > them instead of the standard ones (different quantization tables are> > generated by the IJG JPEG library for each quality level).> > Why do we need an option in the GUI for this? If there are quantization> tables attached and the user doesn't change the save quality, then just> use them. Or is there a real disadvantage in doing that? To me it looks> like you are asking the user a question that she is unlikely going to> understand. And you are forcing the user to make a decision that you can> better do for her.
I think that this option is still useful.  Maybe not for disabling itwhen it is enabled, but for enabling it when it is not enabledautomatically.  It is usually better to use the custom quantizationtables if they are better than your default quality settings.  Butif they are not better, then it is nice to give a choice to the user.
If the quantization tables found in the original file are not betterthan your default quality settings, then the option "Use customquality settings" will be available but not enabled.  This ensuresthat you always get at least the minimum quality specified in yourdefaults.  If you did not make major changes to the image and you wantto save it using the same quality as the original, then you can do itby enabling this option.