Re: mentioning Photoshop on this list

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 12:04:08 +0200, Danko Dolch <forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:> 01. Yes good idea (but never speak out the evil word pho***o* - dev. are > a bit sensitive to it ;-)
Just a little thing that I would like to clarify: mentioning Photoshopor other products on this list is perfectly OK.
If anybody on this list feels offended of feels compelled to reactstrongly when someone mentions Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, Windows,Adobe, Microsoft or some other proprietary products or companies,then they do not belong here.  Feel free to have constructivediscussions and to compare GIMP with other products here.  Otherprograms also have great features, so describing these features andtheir pros and cons can be a nice way to make GIMP even better.
However, there are some things that you should avoid:
- Assuming that everybody knows what you mean when you talk about  some specific feature of another program.  I do not have a copy of  Photoshop (*) and most GIMP developers do not have one either.  I  have not seen nor used any recent version of Photoshop.  So if you  mention some specific feature of another program, please be sure  to describe it precisely instead of just saying that we should  implement this or that like in Photoshop.
- Assuming that we want to have the same features as another  program.  With the help of Peter, we have developed a vision for  GIMP: http://developer.gimp.org/gimpcon/2006/index.html#vision  Features that do not fit in the GIMP vision will probably not be  implemented.  Among other things, GIMP does not try to copy  Photoshop or MS Paint.
- Assuming that we will implement some useful feature in the same  way as another program.  There is often more than one way to  implement something.  Each solution has advantages and  disadvantages.  We should always try to implement the solution  that fits best together with other GIMP features.  So when you  describe a feature, try to describe its purpose (what does it  do? why is it useful? to whom?) before describing how it works.
Most of the comments on the list that were complaining about amessage mentioning Photoshop were due to one of the reasons givenabove.  The complaints that were not due to one of these reasonscan probably be ignored.  So feel free to mention other productsor programs here, as long as you provide useful information.
By the way, there is no need to censor or change the name of aproduct or company when you mention it (Ph*t*sh*p, Windoze, ...)We can speak like grown-ups.  Or try to.  ;-)
So these were just my 2 cents to avoid spreading misconceptionsabout what is OK and what is not OK on this list...
-Raphaël

(*) I might still have a CD with Photoshop 4.0 LE for Windows 95    that that came with my scanner.  But my old Win95 PC has not    been booted since a very long time.  And a 10 years old copy    of Photoshop is probably irrelevant for most comparisons._______________________________________________Gimp-developer mailing listGimp-developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer