Re: mentioning Photoshop on this list - ok just kidding... ; -)

Hi Raphaël!
I wasn't really serious as I wrote about the "evil pho****" ;-))
My intention was just to point that a lot of dev. don't like to hear "photoshop can this and it does that - why is there still any difference between PS and GIMP????"
but stop - let's concentrate on important things like 2.4...
Best Regards
Danko

Raphaël Quinet wrote:> On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 12:04:08 +0200, Danko Dolch <forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:>   >> 01. Yes good idea (but never speak out the evil word pho***o* - dev. are >> a bit sensitive to it ;-)>>     >> Just a little thing that I would like to clarify: mentioning Photoshop> or other products on this list is perfectly OK.>> If anybody on this list feels offended of feels compelled to react> strongly when someone mentions Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, Windows,> Adobe, Microsoft or some other proprietary products or companies,> then they do not belong here.  Feel free to have constructive> discussions and to compare GIMP with other products here.  Other> programs also have great features, so describing these features and> their pros and cons can be a nice way to make GIMP even better.>> However, there are some things that you should avoid:>> - Assuming that everybody knows what you mean when you talk about>   some specific feature of another program.  I do not have a copy of>   Photoshop (*) and most GIMP developers do not have one either.  I>   have not seen nor used any recent version of Photoshop.  So if you>   mention some specific feature of another program, please be sure>   to describe it precisely instead of just saying that we should>   implement this or that like in Photoshop.>> - Assuming that we want to have the same features as another>   program.  With the help of Peter, we have developed a vision for>   GIMP: http://developer.gimp.org/gimpcon/2006/index.html#vision>   Features that do not fit in the GIMP vision will probably not be>   implemented.  Among other things, GIMP does not try to copy>   Photoshop or MS Paint.>> - Assuming that we will implement some useful feature in the same>   way as another program.  There is often more than one way to>   implement something.  Each solution has advantages and>   disadvantages.  We should always try to implement the solution>   that fits best together with other GIMP features.  So when you>   describe a feature, try to describe its purpose (what does it>   do? why is it useful? to whom?) before describing how it works.>> Most of the comments on the list that were complaining about a> message mentioning Photoshop were due to one of the reasons given> above.  The complaints that were not due to one of these reasons> can probably be ignored.  So feel free to mention other products> or programs here, as long as you provide useful information.>> By the way, there is no need to censor or change the name of a> product or company when you mention it (Ph*t*sh*p, Windoze, ...)> We can speak like grown-ups.  Or try to.  ;-)>> So these were just my 2 cents to avoid spreading misconceptions> about what is OK and what is not OK on this list...>> -Raphaël>>> (*) I might still have a CD with Photoshop 4.0 LE for Windows 95>     that that came with my scanner.  But my old Win95 PC has not>     been booted since a very long time.  And a 10 years old copy>     of Photoshop is probably irrelevant for most comparisons.> _______________________________________________> Gimp-developer mailing list> Gimp-developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer>   _______________________________________________Gimp-developer mailing listGimp-developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer