Re: [Gimp-developer] Misnamed structure element in SFScript structure?

On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 18:18, Daniel Rogers wrote:
> Sven Neumann wrote:
> > All of this would probably be best solved by redoing Script-Fu using a
> > full-featured and actively maintained Scheme implementation.
>
> Might I suggest Guile?
> http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/guile.html
>
> It seems almost ready made to be stuck into the gimp.

I have done some preliminary looking around the net related to Scheme
interpreters. The use of Guile was proposed in messages I saw dated
1998. Back then it was felt the start up time for Guile was a little too
long. I would hope that issue has been resolved in the intervening
years.

I have also seen references to guile-gtk as an extension for Guile, and
a reference to a GIMP plug-in called 'gimple'. I haven't found copies of
either of these two projects on the 'net yet. So far, I have grabbed
copies of libscheme and the latest version of SIOD (v3.2) to take a look
at them.

A first step might be to replace the existing SIOD stuff with the 3.2
version but even that version of SIOD is very old and libscheme is even
older.

Based on comments in messages from years ago and recent comments, I will
take a closer look at Guile. Developing a separate replacement for
Script-Fu is the way to go. IIRC, this is how Script-Fu came about.
Other items such as Xscanimage are able to be dropped in to GIMP at any
time so the new interpreter could be done the same way.
--
Cheers!

Packet:ve3syb@ve3yra.#con.on.ca.na|  Try to assimilate the world!"