Re: [Gimp-developer] Handling of transparent pixels

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 05:55:06PM -0200, "Joao S. O. Bueno" <gwidion@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Actually, this will be quite possible with the "custom layer mode" I
> was cooking a couple months ago, and which I plan do revive to Gimp

Right, still I disagree in practise, and here is why:

While "it can be done" with the custom layer mode is true, the problem is
not the implementation, but the user-interface. The model I was referring
to (that is not going to be implemented too soon, if at all) would work
somewhat like "whenever the user does something, the operation is added to
the pipe/tree for the image. if necessary the user can revisit any stage
of the tree and change parameters or insert new steps."

This poses a computing problem (it might be too slow/use too much memory
for caching etc.) and also a UI problem (how can I make this accessible to
the user in an easy way).

Incidentally, this is (in a pipe not tree way) how the display app of
ImageMagick works, but it's often overlooked. I can resize an image as
often as I want (and display will do it in LQ mode quickly for me), but
only when I hit the apply menu will it actually resize the underlying
image data, keeping highest possible (for imagemagick) quality.

> One will just have to write the effect (if he's writiing from scracth,

The "just" is the problem. I can do it without custom layer modes, too, I
just have to write the program.

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@xxxxxxxx      |e|