Re: [Gimp-developer] Handling of transparent pixels

pcg@xxxxxxxx ( Marc) (A.) (Lehmann ) wrote:
While I sometimes find the erase tool conceptually difficult to use
(maybe because it's so unusual), the question is wether this is just a
weird added feature (as most people including me _seem_ to view it), or
something that hinders people.

Oh yeah, I don't know if you simply made a typo, but 'erase' isn't a problem, while 'unerase' is. Not a 'your app will crash' sort of problem by any means, more a matter of exposing the user to implementation details and fluffy conceptual wrongness, actively encouraging the wrong tool (alpha) for the job (masking), and implying that 'undefined' data is sacred whereas it hasn't strictly been for a very long time now (and in some tools and usage patterns NEVER has been, but users don't even question these because the UI never encouraged these usage patterns).

--Adam
--
Adam D. Moss   . ,,^^   adam@xxxxxxxx   http://www.foxbox.org/   co:3
Consume Less, Live More