Re: Omitted languages

Ulf-D. Ehlert skreiv:
> Kolbjørn Stuestøl (Donnerstag, 1. Januar 2009, 14:20):
>
>> 1. In the file appendix/bibliography.po (and others) there are some
>> paragraphs common to all languages, i.e. without lang tags.
>>

> There should be no <lang> tags at all.
>

>> If I want  them in my language, do I have to add ("use the original
>> text") them to my language when writing po files?
>>

> ??? What do you mean? You have to translate them and add the translation
> to the po file(s) (which will be created/updated e.g. with "make
> po-no").

Sorry for confusing you.
I was writing before thinking. Of course I have to to put all I want to
be in my translation in the msgstr. Translated or not.

>> 2. Some  paras are in other languages but not in English. These paras
>> are omitted in the pot and po files. Example: <biblioentry
>> lang="de;fr" id="bibliography-books-neumann"> do not show up in
>> German or French (and of course neither in English).
>>

> Yes, if there was no corresponding English text, these paras were
> discarded.
>

>> Do we have to  add such entries manually?
>>

> Yes, but you have to add an English entry in src/what/ever.xml.
>

>> This is perhaps a minor problem compared
>> with others you are working on, but will it be fixed in the future?
>>

> No. That was not a bug. It's just the price we had to pay for switching
> the documentation to  a gettext-based system with English as reference
> language.
>

>> (I am using Cygwin and I have at the moment found no way to make html
>> from my po files.
>>

> Oops?! Problems? I can't believe that. ;-)

Some files I can import into Cygwin myswlf, others depends on the
peoples behind Cygwin. At the moment I as an example have found no way
of running gettext from/on Cygwin. Have not tried Gettext for Windows.
BTW I'm not sure it is the same Gettext. Sooner or later I have to
migrate to Linux but I have lots of other interests too. As for all
others involved in GIMP, this is a hobby done at spare time.

>> Seems that I have to wait [...]
>>

> Hmm, that's the wrong attitude...

Yes, I agree. The problem isas mentioned above, that I am not able to
add modules, scripts , or whatever to Cygwin myself. All depends on the
Cygwin people.
> It should be possible to "make html-no" even if validating fails
> ("unknown ID" etc.). If "make html-no" fails it's sounds like a bug and
> you should tell us what went wrong.
> I'm using openSUSE Linux and I have no way to test the build system
> under Cygwin, so as long as you keep your mouth shut I think everything
> is fine... ;-)
>
> BTW,
> Which docbook-xsl version do you use? I'm using version 1.74.0 and
> noticed some changes

Version 1.69.1. The locale is still "no" instead of "nb". (I'll upgrade
if available for Cygwin.).
> 	docbook-xsl-1.74.0 NEWS:
> 	------------------------
> 	Changes since the 1.73.2 release:
> 	"no" locale is now "nb"
> 	per message from Hans F. Nordhaug, correct identifier for
> 	Norwegian Bokmål is "nb" (not "no") and has been for quite some
> 	time now...
>
> and "common/no.xml" has been replaced with "common/nb.xml".
>
> So in "Makfile.am" I have added code to call xsltproc with
> default.language="nb" if language is "no".

Fine. When I started translation I choosed "nynorsk", so the correct
here will be 'default.language="nn" if language is "no" '  (if [
"$${lang}" = "no" ]; then lang="nn"; in Makefile.am and perhaps other
places?).

> Is this correct? What's the difference between "no" and "nb" (and "nn")?
> Should we rename "no" to "nb"?

Renamed: yes, but "nn" instead of "nb".
(See also my answer to Daniel).
Thank you for doing this. It's a step on the road to get GIMP not only
good, but perfect.
Kolbjørn