Re: Current status on migration to gettext/po

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 01:50:25PM +0200, Ulf-D. Ehlert wrote:
> Nickolay V. Shmyrev (Sonntag, 10. August 2008, 13:45):
> Nickolay V. Shmyrev (Sonntag, 10. August 2008, 14:47):
> > Another thing I can't agree with is that po files are created for
> > each xml file in sources. For me it seems like a waste of time,
> > resources and this will drop one of main advantages of gettext - you
> > can't share translation for a single string across document.
> >
> > I'd better recommend you to create per-chapter po file with
> >
> > xml2po -o pot src/chapter/*.xml
Would that actually speed things a little bit up in comparison to
merging the translations for every single po file?

> [...]
> The main (and most interesting) problem is how to save the translations,
> since adding all translations to the po files with cut & paste is
> obviously too much work.
I was on vacation - sorry - but back on the construction scene now ;)

I spend a few hours on figuring out a possible solution to save the
translations by studying various sources (Nickolays proposed patch (bug
369510), the Mail conversation with Ulf who already had a look at xml2po
and xml2po itself).

I ended up by do the following scenario:

    1. Profile the translation language as well into a subdirectory
    (e.g. de):

        cd oldsrc
        xsltproc --stringparam profile.lang "de" ../stylesheets/profile.xsl introduction.xml  > introduction.xml.new
        mv introduction.xml.new ../de/introduction.xml

    2. Reuse the translation to merge it into one po file:

        cd ..
        xml2po -r de/introduction.xml  --output="po/de/foo.po" src/introduction.xml

The foo.po now contains the english original msgids and the German
translation. Did someone tried this actually? Ulf maybe?

The only problem here is (of course), that the generated po file doesn't
map 1:1 to the English original strings. This needs to be corrected by
the author itself. Could still be a lot of work, but we don't have to
copy & paste the whole manual.

This means, we can do this in one shot: create for each translation a
directory with the profiled xml files in it. Merge the translations to
po files with English as a reference and check. The steps could be made
manualy. Handy would be a small script for the authors of course.

> It looks like 'xml2po' can do it if the English text and the translation
> have "the same structure" [xml2po --help], but I'm afraid that for many
> of our XML source files this is not true. (I didn't check it, though.)
>
> I thought (hoped) Roman was working on it...
Yep doing it now :)

Cheers!
--
Roman Joost