Re: Current status on migration to gettext/po

Roman Joost (Sonntag, 24. August 2008, 15:22):
> Would that actually speed things a little bit up in comparison to
> merging the translations for every single po file?

It would speed up translating.

> I spend a few hours on figuring out a possible solution to save the
> translations by studying various sources (Nickolays proposed patch
> (bug 369510), the Mail conversation with Ulf who already had a look
> at xml2po and xml2po itself).
>
> I ended up by do the following scenario:
>
>     1. Profile the translation language as well into a subdirectory
>     (e.g. de):
>
>         cd oldsrc
>         xsltproc --stringparam profile.lang "de"
> ../stylesheets/profile.xsl introduction.xml  > introduction.xml.new
> mv introduction.xml.new ../de/introduction.xml
>
>     2. Reuse the translation to merge it into one po file:
>
>         cd ..
>         xml2po -r de/introduction.xml  --output="po/de/foo.po"
> src/introduction.xml
>
> The foo.po now contains the english original msgids and the German
> translation. Did someone tried this actually? Ulf maybe?

Yes, I tried it for a sample file. It worked like expected, but ...

> The only problem here is (of course), that the generated po file
> doesn't map 1:1 to the English original strings. This needs to be
> corrected by the author itself.

That's the problem!
My sample file contained e.g. the following index entries:

    <indexterm lang="en">
      <primary>...</primary>
      <secondary>...</secondary>
      <tertiary>...</tertiary>
    </indexterm>

    <indexterm lang="de">
    </indexterm>

"en" and "de" don't match, and "xml2po -r" produces more or less useless
output.

Misssing sectinfo (revhistory) entries will certainly cause similar
problems.

So IMHO we had to add one more step:

  0. Check and edit every single source file...

Ulf