Re: Current status on migration to gettext/po

Nickolay V. Shmyrev (Sonntag, 10. August 2008, 13:45):
> > BTW, does anybody know how to checkout a single file, or how to
> > skip directories when checking out? I have a very slow dial-up
> > connection and don't want to download e.g. 'src/', 'oldsrc/', or
> > 'images/'. Is this possible with subversion?
>
> svn checkout \
> svn+ssh://svn.gnome.org/svn/gimp-help-2/branches/xml2po-support/Makef
>ile
>
> for example.

That's what I tried, but it didn't work:
        "... refers to a file, not a directory"

(I can use 'wget' to download files, but then I can't commit.)

I think I got it -- with:
	svn checkout --non-recursive svn+ssh://.../branches/xml2po-support
	.../branches/xml2po-support/
all files have been downloaded, but no directory. :-)

Nickolay V. Shmyrev (Sonntag, 10. August 2008, 14:47):
> Another thing I can't agree with is that po files are created for
> each xml file in sources. For me it seems like a waste of time,
> resources and this will drop one of main advantages of gettext - you
> can't share translation for a single string across document.
>
> I'd better recommend you to create per-chapter po file with
>
> xml2po -o pot src/chapter/*.xml

Yes, you are definitely right. So far we have just extracted and
modified the essential parts of the publican Makefile(s). Changing the
build process to create e.g. only one pot/po file for every directory
(how to create per-chapter files?) should be easy.

The main (and most interesting) problem is how to save the translations,
since adding all translations to the po files with cut & paste is
obviously too much work.

It looks like 'xml2po' can do it if the English text and the translation
have "the same structure" [xml2po --help], but I'm afraid that for many
of our XML source files this is not true. (I didn't check it, though.)

I thought (hoped) Roman was working on it...

Ulf