Re: What's the most annoying thing?

Roman Joost wrote:
> Hi Kolbjørn,
>
> On Sat, Mar 01, 2008 at 06:55:17PM +0100, Kolbjørn Stuestøl wrote:
>
>> Some thoughts from a novice:
>> If this is (will be) a great problem, is it possible to have two
>> separate versions?
>> Make a copy of the 'gimp-help-2' and delete all dead languages from the
>> original. If some languages awakes from death in the future it is
>> possible to assign the language from the copy together with new
>> translations to the original.
>>
> Actually this has been done already after every release. The gimp-help-2
> module is tagged in the repository:
>
>     http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/gimp-help-2/tags/
>
> This means, if you checkout a specific tag of the gimp-help-2 module,
> you view the state which was saved before the release (incl. old
> languages). Though, getting back for new translators those old
> translations is not as easy as they would be left in the source code.
>
> But I would argue in favor of the authors here. Throw the old languages
> out...
>

>> (Believe there is a way to go back to the
>> latest translation of an actual language in the original repository, but
>> this could be a troublesome way to do it - searching for the latest
>> version of the language etc.)
>> Perhaps the gimp-help is too big and complex so this solution is out of
>> question?
>>
> Could be a reason. Maybe splitting the whole manual into a reference and
> a tutorial part cold solve the mass of documentation. But I think this
> is a technical problem we're facing here (like the translations all
> together in one big file) and need to solve.
>

>> Another perhaps: I don't know how to differ between the two versions
>> when generating the html code, but think it should be a simple
>> programming task for someone.
>>
> What do you mean by that?

Thought of running two versions of gimp-help, one for the living
languages and one for the dead. But I see that's a useful way of doing it.

>> To me the technical barrier was most frustrating.
>>
> I can imagine...
>

>> Not used to the Linux jargon and ways of thinking, I had to jump into
>> a new world. To me it was interesting, but I do think many possible
>> translators are giving up somewhere on the road due to too much
>> technical stuff.
>> Wishes: A simple program where I can do my translation only and the
>> program is doing the rest. Must be running on all platforms without
>> coding errors. I know some attempts, but have not found the ultimate
>> one. (I'm still working with Notepad++ on Windows XP).
>>
> Have you contributed to other translating projects? What for software
> did they use, if so?

No, at the moment I'm working on GIMP only. As for most of us, this is a
more or less time comsuming spare time job. I like to speak to my wife
and the rest of the family sometimes too :-)
I'm a member of a couple of mailing lists for translators (Norwegian)
but no one have found the ultimate program for this job as far as I
know. Some suggestions? (I'm still using Windows and a dialed up modem
("capacity problems" the company says), so downloading lots of Mb is out
of question).
Kolbjoern