Re: What's the most annoying thing?

Hi Kolbjørn,

On Sat, Mar 01, 2008 at 06:55:17PM +0100, Kolbjørn Stuestøl wrote:
> Some thoughts from a novice:
> If this is (will be) a great problem, is it possible to have two
> separate versions?
> Make a copy of the 'gimp-help-2' and delete all dead languages from the
> original. If some languages awakes from death in the future it is
> possible to assign the language from the copy together with new
> translations to the original.
Actually this has been done already after every release. The gimp-help-2
module is tagged in the repository:

    http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/gimp-help-2/tags/

This means, if you checkout a specific tag of the gimp-help-2 module,
you view the state which was saved before the release (incl. old
languages). Though, getting back for new translators those old
translations is not as easy as they would be left in the source code.

But I would argue in favor of the authors here. Throw the old languages
out...

> (Believe there is a way to go back to the
> latest translation of an actual language in the original repository, but
> this could be a troublesome way to do it - searching for the latest
> version of the language etc.)
> Perhaps the gimp-help is too big and complex so this solution is out of
> question?
Could be a reason. Maybe splitting the whole manual into a reference and
a tutorial part cold solve the mass of documentation. But I think this
is a technical problem we're facing here (like the translations all
together in one big file) and need to solve.

> Another perhaps: I don't know how to differ between the two versions
> when generating the html code, but think it should be a simple
> programming task for someone.
What do you mean by that?

> To me the technical barrier was most frustrating.
I can imagine...

> Not used to the Linux jargon and ways of thinking, I had to jump into
> a new world. To me it was interesting, but I do think many possible
> translators are giving up somewhere on the road due to too much
> technical stuff.
> Wishes: A simple program where I can do my translation only and the
> program is doing the rest. Must be running on all platforms without
> coding errors. I know some attempts, but have not found the ultimate
> one. (I'm still working with Notepad++ on Windows XP).
Have you contributed to other translating projects? What for software
did they use, if so?

Greetings,
--
Roman Joost