Re: What's the most annoying thing?

Axel Wernicke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2008/2/29, julien <jm.hard@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jm.hard@xxxxxxxxxx>>:
>

>     >     What is the *most* annoying thing, while editing the manual,
>     >     documenting the GIMP or anything regarding the manual.
>     >
>     >

>     All languages together.
>
>     The problem is not for writing new files nor translating. It is in
>     updating.
>     In some files, the xml structure has to be changed, but we must
>     keep the
>     old version for non-updated languages. This results in two parallel
>     versions.
>     It's not impossible to manage , but it's a real headhache.
>     And what will happen with the next version? A shambles.
>

> I absolutely have to agree here. At some point we have to throw out
> dead languages. There simply is no way around this with the current
> technology.
>
> lexA
Some thoughts from a novice:
If this is (will be) a great problem, is it possible to have two
separate versions?
Make a copy of the 'gimp-help-2' and delete all dead languages from the
original. If some languages awakes from death in the future it is
possible to assign the language from the copy together with new
translations to the original. (Believe there is a way to go back to the
latest translation of an actual language in the original repository, but
this could be a troublesome way to do it - searching for the latest
version of the language etc.)
Perhaps the gimp-help is too big and complex so this solution is out of
question?
Another perhaps: I don't know how to differ between the two versions
when generating the html code, but think it should be a simple
programming task for someone.

To me the technical barrier was most frustrating. Not used to the Linux
jargon and ways of thinking, I had to jump into a new world. To me it
was interesting, but I do think many possible translators are giving up
somewhere on the road due to too much technical stuff.
Wishes: A simple program where I can do my translation only and the
program is doing the rest. Must be running on all platforms without
coding errors. I know some attempts, but have not found the ultimate
one. (I'm still working with Notepad++ on Windows XP).

BTW: Go on with the good habit using comments like TODO's etc. They are
very helpful.
Kolbjørn