Re: [Gimp-docs] before (even thinking of) committing to cvs

Am 20.11.2005 um 19:14 schrieb Marco Ciampa:

So you think that is best nothing than a bad (in your personal opinion)
written manual?
Well, so all the people that I meet everyday repeating me 'alla nausea' that gimp is a really neat program if only it was documented in italian, at least with a _bad translated manual_ but in italian; all those people simply are wrong? What is a translated manual inteded for? And for who?

I can understand this people. GIMP is IMHO an _very_ powerful but also pretty complex application with an even powerful but complex user interface. Everything said today leaves no doubt that we (well, to be exact - all the people trying to be creative with GIMP out there) are in need of the best documentation they can get. But lets face the facts - there are dozens of books in a couple of languages on the market already. So it's not that our manual is the only chance to get the information in need. All I want to point out is that I don't think its an good idea to sacrifice the english documentation as a clipboard for the manual editors. In my opinion there is only one chance to bring the power of GIMP to the people: lets beat the complexity of the user interface by a *clean and smart* lineup of the large methods behind the GIMP ui. I'm for example pretty sure that most of that endless SDI vs. MDI discussions as well as that old prejudice concerning GIMPs screen cluttering with dozens of windows (which was true in the ancient GIMP pre 2 ages) would not be written if people would better understand the concepts of dialogs and how they can put together in windows.

But base for that is that we can put all the pieces of knowledge we have together in a clean and consistent way. And yes I stand for this - in my opinion this can be done best by native speakers.

By filling 3rd class content to the en manual we won't help users and - and thats at least as important as the first one - the en writers don't see the gaps in their manual anymore because somebody put _something_ in it.

I hope I could make my point clear a bit ...

Greetings lexA

--

Marco Ciampa

---
Live is like a chocolate box, you never know what you wanna get...
GPG Signatur auf http://wernicke-online.net/Impressum/ prüfen