Re: [Gimp-docs] before (even thinking of) committing to cvs

Am 20.11.2005 um 18:18 schrieb Roman Joost:

On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 01:32:41PM +0100, Axel Wernicke wrote:
Am 20.11.2005 um 02:05 schrieb Marco Ciampa:
[snipped lots of wisdom]

Actually, I join Marcos opinion here. Writing grammatical incorrect text
is better than nothing.

And that is exactly the point where I can't agree. To sell some crude tech talk (and thats what I could write in en) as a manual should not be what we want to do. As I see it a manual should use a consistent flow of text with a consistent use of terms. And that is what can not reached if a dozen of non natives just do a raw translation of what they write for their "own" language, no matter how willing and engaged they are.

Providing a translation to english for newly written content is the only way other translators can grasp the idea
about the new content. If everyone just translates the text, we could
have a far easier setup (like using po and message ids). But the setup
allows, that everyone can write more than a 1:1 translation.
[x] but if thats the case then that legitimates to extend e.g. de content without translating it to en instantly. Btw. for everything that is related to screenshots it is simply impossible to update since I've the native terms (de in my case) only and can't say how a specific field is called in other languages.

It is intended, that other docwriters can extend existing content as
well as writing new one. Please give others a chance to take usage of
new content.

I do! Almost 50% of the time I spend with the files is about restructuring content, and as long as anyhow possible every lang will benefit from that changes. For the menu descriptions I did all the reorganization in en;fr;de ! That was possible because almost any necessary content was already there. And last not least can everybody benefit from the (new) german content.
Providing a crude en translation would lead to something like

written and thought about in de
- raw translation to en
read by someone nativ speaking [cs;fr;it;nl;sv;zh_CN] (pick one of you choice)
- raw translation to [cs;fr;it;nl;sv;zh_CN] (pick one of you choice)

I think there are no words necessary to describe the quality of the result, and sorry for saying so, I've seen some mess in the en that was obviously transferred one to one to another language. All in all I think to use en as kind of intermediate language is a bad idea, specially when sold as en manual.

I really wonder Axel, why you think you're not able to provide a
meaningful translation of the german version. You write a well
understandable English here and I'm fairly sure this will also work for
the help. Julien Hardelin always provides an English translation of
newly added French content.

see above

guess any content is appreciated. May be we should consider to announce "weak" translations to
some proofreaders - do we have such for en??
Nice idea, but I doubt that this will work. If some of the native
speakers can proof read the (english) content, it'll work better than
adding more management tasks for the docwriters.

I'll think about that for a night - may be I get an idea of how everybody can participate from new content without messing up the en manual.

Greetings, lexA

Greetings,
--
Roman Joost
www: http://www.romanofski.de

---
Live is like a chocolate box, you never know what you wanna get...
GPG Signatur auf http://wernicke-online.net/Impressum/ prüfen