Re: Area filters

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 11:43 AM, Øyvind Kolås <pippin@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I do not see how allowing to specify that pixels outside the defined
> rectangle for a buffer by
> definition is for instance the smeared out values (or the mirrored
> values) of the defined content
> would yield a different result from handling this inside the operation itself.

the best definition of border pixels i'm aware of is to 'mask' the kernel with
the bounding box. So for a box blur with radius=1 this means that the corner
pixels are defined as average of 4 image pixels, and for each edge pixel
6 image pixels get averaged.

At first glance it think it is possible to implement this by creating suitable
pixels outside the bounding box and keep the normal 3x3 kernel.
But calculating the exact values for these 'helper pixels' is probably more
effort than to truncate the kernel somehow. At least simple mirroring
doesn't give exact results. Am i missing something here?

peter