Re: Area filters

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 12:05 PM, yahvuu <yahvuu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Øyvind Kolås schrieb:
>> Making the  blur filter assume the
>> buffer abyss (the region outside the defined image) to be transparent
>> and extend the defined region by the kernel radius gives what I expect
>> as the result from blurring it, a rectangle with a fuzzy edge.
>
> GIMP allows to blur a layer without getting fuzzy edges.
> How will GEGL serve this use case?

Formulated like that, this is GIMPs problem not GEGLs problem, one way
to achieve this is to crop the resulting image to the pre-extended
extents, I suspect that the result on the edges by doing this, will be
roughly equivalent to what you get in GIMP when blurring a
layer/rectangular selection etc.

Another option is to define a new operation that doesn't grow, that
also encodes the edge/abyss behavior (I hve written som GEGL
operations based on random sampling of the neighbourhood that discards
the random sample if it falls outside the defined area and does
another random one instead).

Another option that hasn't been fully explored that might prove more
fruitful is allowing GeglBuffers to define the abyss/edge behavior.
Whether the abyss is transparent blank (or opaque black for no alpha)
like it is now or it mirrors/extends pixel data.

/Øyvind K.
 -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/ http://ffii.org/