Re: Area filters

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 11:14 AM, Øyvind Kolås <pippin@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It is much better to extend GeglBuffer to have an abyss policy, this
> means that requests for pixels outside
> the define area gets read back as if they were smeared/mirrored (or
> like now all 0). After this the gaussian blur could be changed to not
> expand it's result rectangle beyond the original input, and still use
> the current easily managable code paths for the actual filtering.

handling the bounding box inside the filter is kind of a PITA, yes.
But anything else will be a rough approximation (at least for blur filters).
I feel it somewhat contradicting to utilize floating point arithmetic for the
calculation of low quality results.

But OK, if these filters won't make it into GEGL, there's no need to
mess with the details.

peter