Re: Building and install GCC 8.3.0, OpenBSD 7.2 on DEC Alpha EV5

Hi Mark,

Mark Butt <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Thanks Segher!
> I tried 12.2 a few days ago but I am getting errors that I think are about the
> compiler that comes with OpenBSD being too old to build 12.2.
> I haven't given up yet, but I think I need to reinstall OpenBSD for sanity sake
> to make sure I haven't messed something up over the weeks of trying to figure
> it out.

OpenBSD 7.2 seems to includes GCC 4.2.1 and Clang 13.  The former is too
old, however, the latter should work fine.  Try to configure with
CC=clang CXX=clang++ or something like that.

> This morning I found a great article about how to build gcc for an Alpha
> emulated VM running Tru64.  I am going to try to roughly translate what I can
> in to OpenBSD to see if that helps.
> I do have Tru64 on another set of SCSI disks so I might give it a go... just to
> see if the steps work for a stock Tru64 5.1b.
>
> When I started this small project I didn't think it would much trouble at all.
> I had assumed modern OpenBSD would be similar to using something like modern
> AIX which supports a lot of GNU-linked products very well... either that was a
> poor assumption on my part, I am doing something wrong, the Alpha architecture
> (yes, ancient I know) or a combination of several of those.
>
> When I do have a working GCC installation I will report back with the steps
> required to get there.  Incase anyone else happens to feel the need to compile
> GCC on an old Alpha.
> I am thinking I am getting close...  GCC is building it seems, but encounters
> errors during the subsequent steps.  It complains that it cannot create
> executables.
>
> I did notice that the configure script is detecting the host as:  alpha-unknown-openbsd7.2
> Does anyone know if that looks right or if I should be manually specifying the host type?

Assuming this is an Alpha host, that seems right.

> Again, thanks all for the help and taking the time to respond.
> -M

Have a nice night.
--
Arsen Arsenović