Re: Building and install GCC 8.3.0, OpenBSD 7.2 on DEC Alpha EV5

Thanks Segher!
I tried 12.2 a few days ago but I am getting errors that I think are about the compiler that comes with OpenBSD being too old to build 12.2.
I haven't given up yet, but I think I need to reinstall OpenBSD for sanity sake to make sure I haven't messed something up over the weeks of trying to figure it out.
This morning I found a great article about how to build gcc for an Alpha emulated VM running Tru64.  I am going to try to roughly translate what I can in to OpenBSD to see if that helps.
I do have Tru64 on another set of SCSI disks so I might give it a go... just to see if the steps work for a stock Tru64 5.1b.

When I started this small project I didn't think it would much trouble at all.  I had assumed modern OpenBSD would be similar to using something like modern AIX which supports a lot of GNU-linked products very well... either that was a poor assumption on my part, I am doing something wrong, the Alpha architecture (yes, ancient I know) or a combination of several of those.

When I do have a working GCC installation I will report back with the steps required to get there.  Incase anyone else happens to feel the need to compile GCC on an old Alpha.
I am thinking I am getting close...  GCC is building it seems, but encounters errors during the subsequent steps.  It complains that it cannot create executables.

I did notice that the configure script is detecting the host as:  alpha-unknown-openbsd7.2
Does anyone know if that looks right or if I should be manually specifying the host type?

Again, thanks all for the help and taking the time to respond.
-M