Re: Building and install GCC 8.3.0, OpenBSD 7.2 on DEC Alpha EV5

On 1/22/23 10:37, Mark Butt wrote:

No, there is no reason to be at 8.3.0 other than this was the minimum required.  I thought that I might have better luck getting 8.3 to work vs
a newer version given the age of the hardware, I will, however, try a newer version as suggested.

Would you recommend going with a particular version or just get the latest and greatest?
I'd just go with the latest release. You could go with one of the weekly development snapshots, but that may introduce problems you don't want to deal with.

FWIW, I do 3-stage bootstraps of the alpha port in my tester once a week (using qemu). This includes binutils, gcc, glibc and a kernel build using the tip-of-trunk sources for each component. It's also a linux environment, not a BSD environment.

While that work isn't directly applicable to you, it does provide some degree of reassurance that the alpha port basically works. Any notable issues are likely BSD specific.

http://law-sandy.freeddns.org:8080/job/alpha-linux-gnu/

jeff