Re: Building and install GCC 8.3.0, OpenBSD 7.2 on DEC Alpha EV5

On 20.01.2023 16:40, Mark Butt wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I have OpenBSD 7.2 installed and running on an AlphaServer 4100.  DEC Alpha EV5 processors.
No major issues with getting it running on this old hardware other than a slight bug one of the developers over at OpenBSD squashed for me.

I have been having great success with building modern tools and software on the system.  No problems at all.  Except for one…

A particular piece of software I am trying to build requires GCC 8.3.0 which is much newer than the version that comes with OpenBSD.  I am attempting to build and install GCC 8.3.0 in a separate location from the main system compiler as OpenBSD doesn’t usually take kindly to having its system compiler version changed.

IIRC OpenBSD doesn't have any prebuilt packages for alpha, but you should be able to install gcc by using ports, which does most of the heavy lifting for you. In case your application *really* needs 8.x, the ports system have that too.

--
chs