Re: building gcc 4.4.5 from source on Fedora 13

Functioning GCC - yes. GCC functioning as a cross-compiler - NO!

*sigh* If you build from SRPM, no.
[...]

You're talking about building RPMs from SRPMs using rpmbuild and a spec file.

I'm not.

[...]
For the last time, I'm not talking about building with a spec file.
Fair enough - I was assuming that you were. I cannot comment on building GCC from source (other than using SRPMs) as I do not wish to build GCC without creating the necessary RPMs for the simple reason that I won't be able to install it on other machines, so I need GCC (cross-compiling), neatly packaged, so that it be can easily installed on other machines.

Right from the start Andrew have said that GCC, by default, when installed,
is cross-compiling. That, clearly, is not the case as I already pointed out
on numerous occasions. If you think that it is, then keep dreaming and best
of luck!

I do it several times a week.
What? Dreaming?!

The way it works now means they can have it their way and you can have
it your way, if you install some additional packages.
But I still can't build it from source (SRPM!) and end up with everything which needs to be installed in order for GCC to function as a cross-compiler. In other words at the end of the process I do not end up with the necessary mixture of x86_64 and i686 packages, but only the x86_64 (or whatever the host architecture is) group of packages are created.