Re: building gcc 4.4.5 from source on Fedora 13

On 11/29/2010 05:21 PM, Mr Dash Four wrote:

>> I'm surprised that is a dependency: you're building a cross-compiler
>> from x86-64 to i686.  The gcc build will build libgcc for all its
>> multilibs.
>>
> When I build a cross-compiler I expect everything needed for this cross
> compiler to work and is also a part of the gcc package, regardless of
> the architecture to be compiled and the relevant rpms built. I do not
> expect to spend a whole day wondering around like headless bl**dy
> chicken solving GCC dependencies - the last time I checked this is the
> job of rpm, not me!

Sure, but with all your ranting I still haven't figured out what you
did and what went wrong.  You've just said "I build a cross-compiler"
and "I build GCC and specifically request/enable cross compiling".
But gcc, when built from FSF gcc sources, does that correctly.  The
Fedora RPM, when built using rpmbuild, works correctly.  We know that,
because we build it all the time, and we build Fedora with it.  We
also know that there's no need to change the specfile to get the RPMs.

>> I don't think that would help.  We haven't yet established that
>> there is a bug.
>>
> If you think that it is quite normal for me to build GCC to cross
> compile from/to i686 without compiling all other dependencies/packages
> (which are part of GCC!) on which GCC depends to function then fine - I
> disagree, however!

It is not necessary to recompile GCC in order to cross-compile from x86_64
to i686 on Fedora.  You need to install whatever 32-bit libraries you're
going to use, true.

I don't know what you did.  It seems as though you expect the RPM
build of gcc to build you a cross compiler and all the i686 target
libraries.  But that's not what it's supposed to do.  The 32-bit
libraries are built as part of the 32-bit distro.

There is clearly some mismatch of expectations, or some mistake in
procedure.

Andrew.