Re: building gcc 4.4.5 from source on Fedora 13

I'm surprised that is a dependency: you're building a cross-compiler
from x86-64 to i686.  The gcc build will build libgcc for all its
multilibs.
When I build a cross-compiler I expect everything needed for this cross compiler to work and is also a part of the gcc package, regardless of the architecture to be compiled and the relevant rpms built. I do not expect to spend a whole day wondering around like headless bl**dy chicken solving GCC dependencies - the last time I checked this is the job of rpm, not me!

I don't think that would help.  We haven't yet established that
there is a bug.
If you think that it is quite normal for me to build GCC to cross compile from/to i686 without compiling all other dependencies/packages (which are part of GCC!) on which GCC depends to function then fine - I disagree, however!

When I build GCC and specifically request/enable cross compiling I expect all GCC-related packages (and that includes packages for BOTH x86_64 and i686 architectures) to be compiled and built as well.

No, they are not! The last 3 DEAD symlinks come from libstdc++.i686,
which is (or should be as its x86_64 counterpart is compiled in) part of
the GCC packages (at least that is the case with Fedora).

It is a gcc package; you haven't installed it.

/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.4.4/32/libstdc++.so -->
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.13
 $ rpm -qf /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.13
libstdc++-4.4.4-10.fc12.i686
Why is that package not compiled then if it forms part of GCC?

The only set of packages which are compiled are all x86_64 rpms - nothing else! If I then proceed to install my 'cross compiler' then I am destined to fail because none of the i686 GCC packages on which this 'cross compiler' is dependent are either built or installed.

In other words, when I request GCC to be compiled/built as a cross-compiler it is not - how on earth is that not a bug? I would understand and agree with your argument if I was building GCC as a simple compiler to function in a single-architecture system, but that is not the case here.

libmudflap* is also built as part
of the GCC package on Fedora, but again, the i686 counterpart is NOT
built nor is it provided. Same goes for the libgomp.i686 package -
x86_64 is built, libgomp.i686 is not built, nor provided. Madness -
multilib my ar**!

You surely don't expect all the legacy 32-bit stuff to be installed
by default.
They should be if GCC is dependent on it - I do not expect to see dead symlinks (if that is not the case why are they created then?!) after flawless, error-free installation of GCC on my system, so no - I at least expect to be informed that I need those packages and not spend a whole day resolving dependencies to make the bl**dy thing work, wouldn't you agree?