Re: building gcc 4.4.5 from source on Fedora 13

Yes, it is true that I originally wanted to use GCC as a cross compiler and
because it did not work I set myself to build it from source to correct that
mistake. Later on it was established that GCC, supposedly, should already
function as a cross compiler which later on transpired NOT to be the case as

It patently *is* the case that GCC can function in that way, and it's
the default if you build from source.
Functioning GCC - yes. GCC functioning as a cross-compiler - NO!

Not, unless one spends a few days writing in this mailing list until it becomes clear that a couple of additional *GCC* packages need to be installed for GCC to function as 'advertised', i.e. with the cross-compilation working.

when I was installing the *Fedora-distributed* GCC RPM all the i686
dependencies which enable GCC to function as a cross compiler were not
picked up and subsequently not installed. If they were I won't be starting
this thread in this mailing list.

And Andrew and I have both said why the 32-bit "dependencies" are not
hard dependencies: because that way it's not possible to get a
64-bit-only compiler.
Right from the start Andrew have said that GCC, by default, when installed, is cross-compiling. That, clearly, is not the case as I already pointed out on numerous occasions. If you think that it is, then keep dreaming and best of luck!

Besides, I am not at all interested in getting '64-bit-only' compiler - that is not the purpose I started this thread. I am interested in getting a cross-compiler. To me the term 'cross-compiling' means to be able to compile binaries for more than one architecture (i686 and x86_64 in my case).

They way things are at present, GCC, as installed by Fedora, does NOT cross-compile, despite what you, Andrew, John Doe or whoever else may claim. It may be a '64-bit-only' compiler, yes, but certainly isn't a cross-compiler.

Secondly, if I want to build GCC purely from source as a cross-compiler (yes, from source - without using additional binaries from the same package) using the gcc.spec file I can't - not without extensive editing and messing about with the said file and even then I would still need to install additional GCC binaries (binaries from the same group of packages I am trying to build, no less!) in order to make the whole thing work!

If you, Andrew or anyone else think that's OK - well, keep deluding yourselves.