Re: Application startup performance

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 14:10:19 +0000
Nick Alcock <nick.alcock@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 15 Mar 2016, Raimund Steger outgrape:
>
> > On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 13:40:41 -0700
> > Behdad Esfahbod <behdad@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> There are four usecases we need to consider:
> >>
> >>   - Normal Linux / other Unix-like.  We can assume high-precision
> >> timestamps are available and take care of stuff,
> >>
> >>   - Linux / Unix-like system with network file system.  Any issues there
> >> with your proposed patch?
> >
> > NFSv3 spec has nanoseconds, but I think server support is optional.
> > I'll do some research what kind of support currently is out there. The
> > implementations I'm using here seem to support it. Even if not, there
> > might be little choice, as the stat penalty is most severe with NFS
> > and 2.11 behavior is more acceptable IMHO.
>
> Really? I was seeing multiple second startup penalties caused by all
> those stats before I patched fontconfig to stop doing them. Any given

But on 2.11, really? I mean last stable? If I truss fontconfig-2.11.1's fc-match I see no stats on font files.
What I meant was that 2.11.1 was always the good baseline to go back to for remote FSes, even if it only offered 1-second resolution for timestamps.

Raimund

--
Worringer Str 31 Duesseldorf 40211 DE  home: rs@xxxxxxxx
+49-179-2981632 icq 16845346           work: rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx