Re: F9beta update takes forever

seth vidal wrote:
On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 19:32 +0800, John Summerfield wrote:

Yes. I like it so well that I added skip_broken=1 to yum.conf.

Might I mention that skip_broken isn't mentioned in yum.conf(5)?

Thanks Seth.

It's just taken 6m51.780s to download and install 14 packages amounting to 32 Mbytes.

If you can run this command again run it like this:

echo 'y' | yum -d 3 whatever | grep 'time:'

That's a shame. I have the equivalent to '-d 3' in yum.conf since you mentioned it last time, and the output wasn't that great. It's gone though, I can't find it in any of my "xterms."

and post the output, please

I'd like to see how long each piece is taking.

and pleas be sure to post that w/o the packages in the cache.
There are no updates pending at present, but I guess that when there are, I should precede the update with "yum clean <something>." Is there anything better than "all" from your POV?

I did note that rpm took a long time to install a kernel the other day; I've favoured using yumdownloader to get the latest kernel, then rpm to install it.

When I wondered what it was up to, it was running mkinitrd, but there's nothing to say that it hadn't just got there.

-sv

--

Cheers
John