Re: standard "xwininfo" not installed by FC7T4

Adam Jackson wrote:
On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 08:58 -0500, ron flory wrote:
Matthias Clasen wrote:
On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 08:28 -0500, ron flory wrote:
  Dropping xwininfo is like dropping ps or wc.  They are
obscure tools that you may not use everyday, but when
you need them, you really NEED them...
Whats wrong with just installing them when you need them ?
  If X is installed, xwininfo should be installed.  I can't
be the only person who does this sort of thing...

Given that you're the first person to complain about it in the entirety
of the F7 cycle, you may well be the only person.

 Sorry- I wasn't really complaining,  Just wondering if there
was a definite reason for its removal or a better alternative
that replaced it.

  xwininfo is a tiny prog and was installed in support of X
by all previous RH and FC distros I can remember (since before
RH 4).  Why remove it now?

Benign neglect.

 That was my guess.

The set of packages the contain the stock command line utilities for X
were sort of handwaved into existence.  We don't really know what set of
them get used on any regular basis, but we pretty strongly suspect most
of them never get used.  See above.  I mean, we installed texteroids in
every RHL, RHEL <= 4, and FC <= 4, but that doesn't mean it was ever
necessary or appreciated.

 I use xwininfo after every Linux install on every machine to setup
the X window managers as I don't use either Gnome or KDE.  Its also
helpful when debugging X setup issues on fresh installs (probably
hundreds of times now).

Personally I don't care either way.  I don't think most of
xorg-x11-utils gets used enough to be worth installing by default, but I
also wouldn't object if it were.

 The x11-utils are kind of like textutils, one just assumes the
traditional tools will be there when you need them on any *nix
platform one encounters, just as one knows some flavor of vi will
probably be there as well.

 I vote to leave the x11-utils in, please.

 Thanks.

ron