Re: proposal: drop optical media from release criteria

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 11:30 AM Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes, frankly. Not a lot of testers even keep a DVD-RW drive and media
> around any more. It takes like a half hour just to write all the media
> for testing, then another few hours to run complete installs from them
> all (since optical media are *slow*).
>
> If it's not burdensome, why does no-one except the paid RH folks ever
> seem to run the test? And usually at the last minute, at that?
>
> I've had to buy three DVD-RW drives *solely for the purpose of being
> able to test this* (they keep dying, the things aren't terribly
> reliable). And I keep a spindle of media around, again, solely for the
> purpose of testing this, I don't use them for anything else. (In fact
> I've nearly run out, so if we keep this criteria, I'm gonna have to go
> out and blow some money on some more media I won't ever use for
> anything but testing this).

This kind of disproportionate shift of a criterion's burden is
inappropriate. It also sticks in my craw when bugs like this are
discovered late.

In theory if you test the released beta, and a nightly early on in
freeze, there shouldn't be a regression in the final release that'd
cause only optical boot failures.

I'm a +1 to entirely dropping the criterion.

--
Chris Murphy